Recently, Thales, a data security and cybersecurity solutions supplier, released a new report with 451 Research, an analyst firm. Garrett Bekker from 451 Research composed a list of the four best data security practices in 2017 that organisations should implement:
- Your IT security set should be re-prioritised
A good security solution should have encryption and access controls across environments. You should consider cloud-based and SaaS solutions as well. To reduce costs and simplify the process, you should consider automated service-based solutions and platforms.
- Sensitive data
In order to strengthen your security, you should determine the location of your sensitive data. This is especially true for IoT, big data, the cloud, and containers.
- Compliance is not enough
You must adopt the mindset that compliance is not enough. It is recommended that you adopt the use of encryption and BYOK (bring your own key), especially if you are using cloud hosted solutions.
- Encryption should move beyond desktop computers and laptops
To ensure the security of your data at all times, you should also take advantage of encryption when dealing with:
– Data centres (access controls and file-wide encryption)
– Big data (use access control within the environment)
– IoT (do not forget to use authentication and secure device ID)
– Cloud (you should manage your keys locally, encrypt them, and use BYOK technologies)
– Containers (control access to data)
The full report can be obtained at Thales Security’s official website.